Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Welcome to Disaster City

Angie, Kip, and Chris are away.  I didn’t like this at first. I mean, they bring me to live with them, and then they leave me by myself. Was this going to be like the shelter, just with better food? Then I learned that every day, they came home. I didn’t need to bark, or try to tear up the dog bed or escape. And when they came home, I was able to go out into the yard and play. Angie would throw a red ball, and I would go get it. As soon as I put it in my mouth, it made a squeaky sound--so I bit down on it and it made the sound again! I don’t know what I liked best, the running to get it, or the way it felt in my mouth. If I wanted to keep playing, I brought the red ball back to Angie when she called “Sammie, here,” and she told me to “drop it.” At first I didn’t think that was a great idea, but that was the only way we could keep playing.

We also started to work on my manners.  These are some of the words I learned: Sit, stay, here, down, heal, take a break, kennel. The better I got at doing what the words meant, the more fun I got. I would get snacks, head rubs, and ear rubs; and always, Angie would tell me what a good dog I was. She didn’t always say it the same way. I liked the different sounds that she made, like “Good dog, beautiful girl, smart puppy, that’s my Sammie, way to go, yes.” When we were finished working on my manners for the day, she told me “all done,” and then it was usually time for dinner. I was starvin’ Marvin after all that work. When it got dark, the house was quiet and we all went to sleep. I was starting to enjoy my new life, but it was about to get so much better….

One day, Angie loaded me up to the kennel in the car. She wore different clothes and especially different shoes that were black and big. The pants had all these pockets on them. We were in the car for a long time. I was too excited to sleep. Road trip! Just the two of us. We finally got to where we were going, and I didn’t know what to think. Of course there were new smells, but when I got out of the kennel, I saw piles and piles of rocks and concrete, taller than a person, bigger than the yard, and then Angie said, “Welcome to Disaster City, Sammie.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment