Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Having fun at Disaster City

Disaster City® was about to become my favorite place, a place I wanted to go all the time.  I didn’t know it then, but this first visit was kind of a test to see if I would be able to go back there to have fun.  Get this!! We walked right up to one of those giant piles, and remember that big yellow toy that Kip had when we were at the shelter, and we played together?  This lady, also dressed like Angie, took it and threw it way up on the pile.

Angie was holding on to me and wouldn’t let me go.  Are you kidding me?  I haven’t seen that toy in like forever, and I couldn’t wait to go get it.  Let me go!  I know I was acting weird, because my teeth were chattering and my body was shaking.  I think I barked.  When Angie released me, I ran to get the toy.

Whoa, this was not like running on grass.  Stuff moved around, the hard concrete was hot, and I couldn’t see where the toy was.  Where is it? I want it! It was in a hole between 2 big rocks and I had to lay on my belly to reach it.  The second it was in my mouth, I squeezed it and it made that sound…awesome!  Then we did it again, only the next time, after the lady threw the toy, Angie hid my eyes and waited even longer to release me. 

Now I know what that toy smells like, and I am going to find it even quicker.  All I want is that toy, no matter how hard it is to get it.  Bring it on, throw it again, the Samster will find it.  Other people came to watch me.

There was some other stuff, like showing me a room that looked like it was night time and there were some loud noises and I walked on some stuff that felt strange to my paws.  So that was no big deal.  And there was another dog who walked close to me while I was staying still, and that was fine, because I could tell that dog was not a problem for me. 

After we were all done, I went back in my kennel while Angie and the other people talked.  When she came back, she opened my kennel door, put her head close to mine, and whispered in my ear, “I am so proud of you, Sammie.  You are on your way to becoming a Texas Task Force 1 Disaster Search Dog!”

No comments:

Post a Comment