Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Storm Alert

I can always tell when the weather is going to get scary, and for me that means loud noises that boom and crackle, any thunder and lightning.  The rain is okay by itself, but those other sounds bother me.  It has always been this way. I remember one time when I was a puppy, I was in a field and the sky looked like there were lines in it and the thunder sounded like it was going to come down on me.  I start shaking all over, my legs and tail, my whole body.  And just when I think it might be over, and I start to relax, there it comes again.  I don’t know what to do when I hear those noises, so sometimes I walk back and forth, sometimes I try to find Angie, Kip, or Chris so I can lean against them, and sometimes I just lay down and shake.

Last night we were at the fire station, and I started to get that feeling that a storm was close.  We went inside where the fire trucks stay, and something happened that was good.  Even though the thunder and lightning happened, I felt better.  I know that Sasha and Sprinkles were not happy, but we all were working on learning something new, and there were lots of treats.  We learned how to roll over and even though it felt weird, I forgot about the noise outside.  Sasha looked so funny, with her big ears, and she did not want to do it.  She would do half of a roll, and finally, the whole thing.  I would rather roll on something soft than the hard floor at the fire station, but it is fun to learn something.

By the time we got in the car to go home, the storm was over, and no more noise, just a little rain.  I curled up in my crate and fell asleep.  So it was a no-shake night for me.  I think the next time it storms, Angie should try teaching me to do a new behavior.  That way I won’t be so worried about the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment