Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Longest Search

The day started like we were going to training. So I thought, “Yeah, Disaster City!” But that is not where we went. Angie and I went to a place where there were lots of people, some other dogs, and instead of going to a rubble pile, we went to a place with lots of trees, a few ponds, rocks and sand, even a couple of bridges. Angie told me: “Go find,” and I just took off, checking out the area.

I thought this was fun, kind of like going to the park, but it was very hard work. The sun was hot, and my pads were getting very warm from running on the sand. Angie made sure to give me lots of water to drink. Sometimes she told me, “Check over here,” and I would go into an area where there were lots of trees and bushes, and she would wait for me to come back. I never did bark because I did not find anybody. But I still worked hard. Finally, she told me that I was doing a good job, and gave me an empty water bottle to fetch. That was fun, and I tore it into pieces.

We worked for a long time, and then went to a place where there were people who checked me to make sure that I was okay. I think they were vets, just not the same ones who I see at home. They thought I needed more to drink, so they put a needle in my skin, and water came from a bag that was over my head, through that needle. I had a hump on my back, but when I went back out to search, I felt better. The water they gave me really helped.

One time during the afternoon, we passed a yard where there were 5 little dogs running loose. They all ran toward me, and Angie yelled at them to leave me alone, which they did. Another time, I tried to go under a barbed wire fence and I felt a little hurt on my stomach. I just kept searching. But when the vets checked me again that day, they gave me some more water through a needle, AND they put stitches in my stomach where I felt the little hurt. They were very sweet to me, and Angie was right there with me, so I was not scared.

Courtesy of Andreaplanet
By the time we left, the sun was gone, and it was night. I was tired and a little bit sore in my body from all of the work, and being out there searching for many hours. I got in my crate, ate my dinner, and fell asleep on the way home. This was not as much fun as a day at Disaster City, but I still had a good time searching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment