Monday, January 7, 2013

Distractions

Just so you know, my job is not always that simple.  That’s because sometimes, I don’t know why, well, really I do know, there are “distractions” that are all around the search area.  Here are some examples of what these might be:
  1. Food that I like but cannot have (my favorite food is garlic bread, but I like steak, chicken, cheese, and pasta).
  2. Dirty clothes that smell good to me (my favorites are sheets, towels, and socks).
  3. Animals (cats, cats, and more cats).  There have also been dead fish, and live birds.  Are fish animals?  I don’t know, but they smell good in a bad kind of way.  Oscar never comes out to the search area, just in case you were wondering.
So here is the reason that my job is not simple.  I have to ignore all of them, and just search for a person.  I have seen dogs bark at food, and that is just wrong.  We are only supposed to bark when we smell live people, nothing else.  It is okay to take a quick sniff and move on.

One time, I was on a real search after a tornado, and I had to search a school to see if there was anybody there.  And one of the rooms must have been where the kids eat lunch, because there were milk cartons, cookies, and all kinds of food smells.  And in another part of the school, there were “babies”…that is what I call stuffed animals.  Listen, I just had to do my job and as much as I might have been interested in those distractions, I had to leave them alone.

So we train around the kinds of stuff that might be around a search area, so that we learn that we are out there for one reason only…to look for a real, live person!

No comments:

Post a Comment