Monday, February 18, 2013

Disaster City Goes to the Dogs

Disaster City goes to the dogs – lots of them!  Every year dogs and humans from all over the United States can come play at Disaster City.  This year there were 57 dogs, from 13 states.  Can you believe that many dogs shared my favorite place?  They all shared space, were polite, and as far as I know, there were no problems.  Of course, I stayed with my group, and got to know those dogs and humans the best.  They were all labs, some yellow, some black, and a couple that were kind of red. 

There were other kinds of dogs there too.  Here are some of the breeds: German Shepherd (like Sasha), Golden Retriever (like Sprinkles), Border Collie, Dutch Shepherd, and Australian Shepherd.  Most of those dogs have long, thick fur.  Labs like me have shorter fur.  Do you think long better than short?  I don’t think that it makes any difference.  And one thing good about having short fur is that it is not so hot in the summer, and if I take a bath, it does not take so long to dry.  A bad thing might be that if it is freezing cold, I might shiver a little, but in Texas that is not much of a problem.

What do you think the favorite hiding place was for the dogs?  The TRAINS! Angie hid up high in the place where luggage is kept, and you should have seen those dogs try to figure out where she was.  Most of them had never even seen a train, much less had to search for a person in a train. They were dancing on their back legs, noses pointed in the air, trying to decide where she was.  After they barked, she threw their toy to them, like it was coming out of the sky.

We played all day long, and let me tell you that by the end of the first day, I was hungry and ready for a good night’s sleep. At the end of the second day, I knew that we were almost finished, and I just did not want to stop.  I always want to do “just one more.” 

Angie told me, “Sammie, all done.  We will come back soon.”  I had a great time at the bark barrel, and went to my kennel in the car to eat dinner.  And I slept all the way home. 

The new friends I made were Cirque, Mason, Phantom, Duke, Wylie, and Finn. See what we did in this video.

Duke lives in Texas, so maybe I will see him again.  The other dogs were from far away like California, Ohio, Maryland, and New Mexico.  Have a safe trip home, and don’t forget that you are always welcome here in Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment