Monday, June 24, 2013

Helping



I know that not every day can be fun, or special; we cannot train all the time, and some days are just kind of boring.  Nothing much happens, and I am in my crate most of the day.  Today is one of those days, with one break early in the morning.  Even that was not about me, it was about helping one of Angie’s friends with her young dog, a German Shepherd named Harley.

Harley gets very nervous when there is a change in her world.  Even a paper bag blowing across the grass makes her bark.  She barks when somebody rides by on a bicycle, or a car drives into the parking lot.  I can hear her when she and her mom get to the park to meet us.  We have been working with her almost every week, because one of her biggest problems is being around other dogs.  We do not run or play, instead we are both on our leashes.  Harley and I walk past each other, then turn around and walk the other way.  This is so she can learn that other dogs are not a big deal, and that if she watches her mom, good things happen, like she gets these treats that are steak or turkey, the real stuff.
 
I know that it is important to help other dogs.  After all, I learned a lot from being around some great search dogs.  And I stay very calm around Harley.  Sometimes I know she is staring at me, and today I think she really wanted to play.  Maybe one of these days we will be able to get closer to each other, but right now, we keep our distance in the parking lot where we practice.

And right now, there are 3 dogs in crates in MY kitchen because today must be all about helping others.  This has happened once before.  I know they are just visitors and that Angie is taking them to the vet.  She will meet their mom there, and they will go home with her.  Still, it just doesn’t feel right to have them here.

Do I sound selfish?  I think so.  I need to remember that life is not always about me.  It is also about being a good friend to dogs and humans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment