Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My New Tooth


All dogs have 2 sets of teeth.  There are “puppy teeth” which are tiny, and they fall out after a while, making room for the big teeth, which are not supposed to fall out.  They are strong, and can be used to chew food, hold on to tug toys, and in some dogs, bite bad guys.

I cracked one of my big teeth a few weeks ago.  Angie didn’t see what I was doing, because she was on the rubble pile with Snap and his dad.  Sometimes I just go crazy when I hear other dogs working, and even though it is wrong, I bite the side of my wire crate. This time, when I did that, part of my tooth fell off, and it kind of stuck in my throat.  So when it was my turn to work, I was kind of coughing, and the tooth hurt, so I did not really want to tug. 

Angie said, “Sammie, I don’t know what is wrong with you, but I don’t think you feel good.”  She was right.

A few days later, I went to the dentist for dogs, and right away she could tell that I had a tooth that was in bad shape.  And I ended up having something called a “root canal.”  I’m not sure what that means, but I know that the tooth feels better now. 

I had to eat soft food for 5 days, and here is the worst part:  NO TUGGING!!  That is because the tooth has to get a cover put on it, to make it strong again, and that cover will not be here for a week.  I can still go to training, and search, and I can still have my toy, but it is not as much fun.  I know that soon I will have my tooth covered and strong. 

Oh, and one more thing.  I don’t have a wire crate anymore; instead I have one with plastic sides that are not very easy to bite.  Sorry, Angie…I will try to be more careful with my teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment