Monday, June 9, 2014

Warehouse Training


Last weekend, we got in the car, and Angie was in her uniform with all these bags in the back, so I knew that we were off to Disaster City.  I can always tell…only this time I was wrong.  We did drive for a long time, which is the same as when we go to Disaster City, but we stopped at a big building.  I have been there before.  It is where all of the stuff is kept for when we go on a deployment, like to a hurricane or explosion.  So there are boats, trucks, tools, cots, and all kinds of gear…not just for dogs, but for Texas Task Force 1 to use to help people.

Still, I thought we might get to train.  The first direction Angie gave me was, “Kennel,” and there was one already set up.  There was another dog next to me, Cojo, a yellow lab who is my friend.  He was sleeping, but looked up when he smelled me.  And then I waited, and waited, and waited.  Finally, Angie put my leash on my collar, and we took a walk with a lot of other people.  They were all carrying big backpacks.  Cojo was with us, and also Sprinkles and a black lab named Pigeon.  And that is all we did, no training, just that walk.  It was kind of boring.  And then back in our kennels, all 4 dogs.

We spent the night in the warehouse, and I was quiet.  I did have a hard time sleeping because I was not really tired.  After all, I didn’t do much during the day.  The next morning, we went home.  But before we got there, Angie stopped at the park so I could run and play fetch.  I know that not all training is about me, and that sometimes I must practice staying calm and waiting.  I know that, but it doesn’t make it easy.  After all, I am a working dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment