Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Career Day

I did not know the meaning of the word, “career,” but now I know it means the same as “job.”  Angie and I went to a school where there were people talking to students about what kind of jobs they could have when they graduated from high school.  I was the only dog there, and Angie talked about what it was like to work with me.  First, there was this big meeting in front of lots of people, and when it was Angie’s turn to introduce herself, I went with her and hupped on a chair so that everybody could see me.  No big deal, but there was a lot of applause.

Then we visited 8 classrooms, and this took a long time.  At first, I was kind of excited and ready to go, but at the end of the day, I was lying sideways down, really tired from all of the talking and petting.  Angie tried to make it fun for me by taking my toy out of her pack, and showing the students how much I enjoyed tugging.  I never got tired of that part. 

She would move it slowly back and forth, side to side, and my eyes followed it; then she told me, “Get it, Sammie!”  Then we played a good tug game.  She also talked to the students about what I do when I find somebody in the rubble.  She asked them, “Do you think Sammie sends me a text from her cell phone?”  I think some of them thought she was serious, and then she told them how I barked loudly, and I demonstrated my special bark for them.

I was more tired from this day than from a day of training on rubble.  I think it was because I kept thinking I was going to work, since Angie wore her boots and training clothes.  Still, it was important for the students to know what it takes to work with a dog like me, and to think about that as a career, or job, that they might like one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment